Email

Friday, January 1, 2010

Blue Moon Rising


A Blue Moon to herald in 2010 seems like an announcement from the heavens. What portent for this coming year? The second full moon of the month - called a blue moon - usually happens once a year. But what of the chances of it falling on New Year's Eve?

On New Year's Eve 29 years ago my sweetheart proposed to me just before midnight struck. We had left the dance hall at our gliding club airfield, once a WWII primary training base, and were sitting on the curb outside. As the refrain of Auld Lang Syne floated out from the building now filled with revelling pilots and their partners, we walked inside hand-in-hand, now irrevocably committed to a lifetime of love and adventures.

Time has passed, and Bill has departed on the last great adventure. So often something special happens on our various anniversaries. It's NYE - and in Tennessee it has been overcast and rainy all day. No likely sighting of the blue moon. Two visitors stop in and we share the last two hours of 2009. We toast with champagne - always "Here's to Whatever Comes Next!" And these two - Bill's oldest son, and a very close friend who has walked many miles with us - depart for their own homes.

As I climb into bed in the loft, the final amazement awaits me. The clouds part, and from high in the sky a blue moon shines down, flooding my pillow with light. It is blindingly bright, and I gaze up at that full moon, feeling touched once again with the magic of the love of my life who stole my heart many, many moons ago. There have been shooting stars and shark's teeth at midnight, so why should I be surprised?

Magic is all around us.

"When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator."  - Mahatma Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment