Email

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Breaking of a New Dawn


AS we stand on the brink of a new year, wondering what life ahead will hold, I am reminded of this poem and picture that always hung in our home when I was a child.

This time it speaks to my heart, as I face an unknown future. Stripped of the ones who held my hand and my heart for so long, it's now a journey inward as well as outward. "I want to stand alone with God," I wrote a long time ago, expressing a future yearning. Now that is my reality. Not one filled with apprehension, but rather an excitement to be on this path that will take me home.

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
"Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown!"
And he replied:
Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way."

So, I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night
And He led me toward the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.

So, heart be still!
What need our little life,
Our human life, to know,
If God hath comprehension?
In all the dizzy strife
Of things both high and low
God hideth His intention.
Minnie Louise Haskins

No comments:

Post a Comment