Email

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Citizenship Ceremony

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2010 - Today I pledged my allegiance to the United States of America, and was sworn in as a U.S.citizen.


I stood with 60 other people from 26 different countries in the tightly packed courtroom in Nashville. Saying the Pledge of Allegiance after being sworn in suddenly had new meaning. Now it was my personal commitment all the way.


Wow! There are so many marker moments along the journey to this day. So let me take you on a little trip. Take the time to stop and explore the couple of side roads along the way. And feel free to leave any comments at the end.

Falling in love with Bill over 30 years ago - my dashing Southern Gentleman from Tennessee - turned my heart towards America. The day I signed our marriage certificate, I also pledged allegiance in my heart to the country of his birth, as we united to become one. He took me on two extensive business trips to the States, and I was hooked! I began keeping a map of the U.S. beside our bed, dreaming of the wonders to be explored, new places and people and cultures, breathtaking sights, fascinating history. I studied it frequently till it was dog-eared with use, and Bill laughed every time I sang “I want to live in America!”

When our plans to buy property in Australia fell through, and his contract with the Australian Government drew to an end, we decided this was it! We packed our bags, stored or sold furniture and belongings, and in 1986 moved to the U.S., embarking on a new adventure together – now irrevocably connected to both countries.

I entered the U.S. with the coveted Permanent Resident status – a Resident Alien, as my “Green Card” stated. Immigration wasn’t very amused when I sat in their office in Honolulu airport with these alien antennae on my head (a gift from Australian niece Julie for the occasion!) to process my final entrance paperwork. Well, we thought it was funny!

We hit the West Coast, bought car and camping gear, and headed east to Tennessee. It’s been a grand adventure ever since. Reconnecting with Bill’s roots, living first in his old family homeplace. A thousand treasured times with his sons, nephews, brother, sister, and their families spread coast-to-coast. We have criss-crossed the country many times, camping, sailing, flying, and exploring. Tried various enterprises in a country that encourages entrepreneurism. Always drawn on by the creative urge. Blessed with an abundance of wonderful friends.

I’ve grown to care deeply about America, and the principles upon which it was founded. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, equality, upholding the principles of morality and honesty and our God-given rights. I believe it both a responsibility and an honor to follow the call given by President John F. Kennedy – “Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.” Giving a hand up is far more productive than simply a hand out; building up people’s self esteem more enduring than robbing them of hope; and honoring God in all we say and do opens the pathway for God to bless this nation. I plan to use my new privilege to vote, and seek after accountability in this country.

Let’s now take a trip to the Tennessee State Legislature and listen in to the words of an amazing woman, Lt. Col. Courtney Rogers (Ret. USAF), whom I have had the honor of getting to know in recent months.
Click on the Session Start video on the left hand side of that page.

There is something so special about flags. Growing up in Australia, the sight of the Australian flag is a wonderful reminder of my country’s heritage and its place under Southern skies guided by the Southern Cross. Living in America I have come to appreciate a new flag – the Stars and Stripes with its colorful history dipped in blood. This is a country steeped in patriotism, and over the past 23 years I have pledged my allegiance to that flag more times than I can number. It is now filled with new meaning, as I metaphorically wrap that flag around my shoulders, embraced by the country that my husband was also prepared to die for.

I received my first U.S. flag two years ago. Presented to me in honor of Bill’s service during World War II as a pilot in the USAC/USAAF. Presented on the day we scattered his ashes around the big oak tree, and celebrated his life.

Take a moment to watch this short video clip to understand the patriotism my husband was honored for.

Thank you to the 20 friends who stood with me in that court room to mark this significant moment, including the two family who’d driven 12 hours from Florida, and the two friends who’d made the trip from Atlanta – and to those who were with me in spirit. Thank you all for welcoming me as a new citizen!

DUAL CITIZENSHIP
For many years Bill and I have kept our two countries linked. Bill as U.S. citizen and permanent resident of Australia; me as Australian citizen and permanent resident of the U.S. Several years ago Australia and the U.S. made a reciprocal agreement to allow a person to have dual citizenship. With Bill’s passing almost two years ago, taking off on the last Great Adventure, I felt I wanted to firmly plant myself and my loyalties in both countries. While always being proud to be an Australian, and proud of the land of my birth, I am also deeply committed to my adoptive country. So to all my fellow Aussies – have no fear, I have not sold my birthright!
I AM NOW A CITIZEN OF BOTH AUSTRALIA AND THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. A true Aussie American!


No comments:

Post a Comment